Gift Acceptance Policy
Pepper’s Senior Dog Sanctuary provides a compassionate, loving, lifelong home where elderly dogs are cared for during their good days, bad days, and last days.
Gifts Generally Accepted
Donations will generally be accepted from individuals, partnerships, corporations, foundations, government agencies, or other entities, without limitations.
In the course of its regular fundraising activities, PSDS will accept donations of cash in any form, including by check, money order, credit card, or online.
Please read the following pertaining to the types of donations we can and cannot accept.
Gifts Accepted Subject to Prior Review
Certain types of gifts must be reviewed prior to acceptance due to the special liabilities they may pose for PSDS. Examples of gifts that will be subject to review include gifts of real property, personal property, marketable securities, bequests and beneficiary designations, donated goods, and gifts/services in kind.
When considering whether to solicit or accept gifts, the organization will consider the following factors:
Values – Does acceptance of the gift compromise any of the core values of PSDS?
Compatibility – Is the intent of the donor compatible with the organization’s use of the gift?
Public Relationships – Would acceptance of the gift damage the reputation of PSDS?
Primary Benefit – Is the primary benefit to PSDS, versus the donor?
Consistency – Is acceptance of the gift consistent with prior practice?
Form of Gift – Is the gift offered in a form that PSDS can use without incurring substantial expense or difficulty?
Effect on Future Giving – Will the gift encourage or discourage future gifts?
All decisions to solicit and/or accept potentially controversial gifts will be made by the Executive Committee of the Board in consultation with the Executive Director. The primary consideration will be the impact of the gift on the organization.
Restrictions on Gifts
PSDS will not accept gifts that (a) would result in the organization violating its corporate charter, (b) would result in PSDS losing its status as an IRS § 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, (c) are too difficult or too expensive to administer in relation to their value, (d) would result in any unacceptable consequences for PSDS or (e) are for purposes outside PSDS’s mission.
Donation Drop off Times
Donations are accepted at the front desk. Please call to schedule an appointment to drop off donations.
Food We Accept
We can only take unopened, not expired, and not damaged food items.
- Food must be unopened
- Canned and dry food is acceptable.
- Any frozen food must be kept frozen the entire time. If it has been thawed and refrozen we cannot take it.
- Any Royal Canin or Hills prescription foods dry or canned
- Purina Pro Plan adult 7+
- Treats that are easy to chew and digest
- Dental treats
Food We CANNOT Accept
- Open bags of food
- Expired food
- Any canned food or blister packed food that shows signs of puffing or expanding
- Rawhide treats
- Treats and dental treats meeting the above requirements must be easy to chew and digest
- No prescription medication even if it is unopened
- No pain killers or narcotics
- No opened supplements or treatments
- Nothing homemade
Toys, bones and other chewing items must be approved by a staff member to be accepted.
- No rawhide
- No antlers
- No exposed stuffing or wires
- Must be intact and not overused, chewed, or dirty
Bedding, Blankets, and Towels
- Bedding must be intact with no exposed stuffing or wires
- Bedding must have easily removable padding and covers for washing
- Bedding, towels, and blankets must not be dirty, soiled, or frayed and all must be machine washable
Supplements will be examined on a case-by-case basis. CBD
supplements will only be accepted after examination and approval. We do not accept any “homemade remedies”.